The Usher Syndrome Society (Arts for USH) feels that empathy is one of the most important skills in our lives and most people can master through time and exposure.
What is Empathy?
- Putting yourself in someone else’s shoes.
- Imagining how another person is thinking and feeling
Why is it important to be empathetic?
- Empathy makes us aware of the feelings of others, embraces differences, builds relationships, helps us gain perspective on the world around us.
How does Arts for USH teach empathy?
- By sharing our personal story of Usher Syndrome we enable people young and old to experience what it feels like to slowly lose both your hearing and eyesight.This creates a reality different from their own and inspires feelings that can be expressed through drawing.
Why does Arts for USH teach empathy?
- Arts for USH feels that you can't possibly understand a disease like Usher Syndrome unless you first understand empathy.